Skandagiri, also known as Kalavara Durga or Kalavara Betta, is encircled by the Nandi Hills at an elevation of 4757 ft. offers a chance to trek and explore the highlands. When you reach the apex of the slope, there is a shattered fort, which amplifies the euphoria of the night trek. The best element of the trek is that you may spend the night under the stars at the top of the hill. You can enjoy a bonfire on the campsite and cherish the serene warmth of nature.
Starting Point: Kalwara Village
Ending Point: Skandagiri Hilltop
Duration: 5 hours
Distance: 8 km approximately
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate
You’ll be stunned to discover that on Skandagiri there stood an incredible Tipu Sultan fort, constructed in the 18th century by the prominent ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore, Tipu Sultan, to combat the British Raj. Unfortunately for Tipu Sultan, he failed in the battle and the fort was then captured by the British. Later, the fort was forced to take the brunt of the destruction, and it now exists in ruins, with only a few of its walls standing powerful enough to tell the tale of an amazingly unforgettable incident that happened in the past. The two temples, one at the bottom and one at the top, are the only ones that have overcome the devastation, while the rest are in ruins.
- Skandagiri is nearly 60 km from Bangalore and is an outstanding trek for both novice and experienced trekkers. And can be visited all around the year.
- It offers a spectacular view of the four neighbouring ‘Giris’, villages, towns, and wildernesses from the top, which is a remarkable scenery to perceive.
- Only a few treks enable you to climb through sheer gravel, hop rocks, and a muddy route. Skandagiri is easily accessible from Bangalore.
- The destroyed walls, engraved pillars, and rocks of a historical fort closer to the summit allow us to get back into the time in the 18th century when Skandagiri Fort was bustling with life and magnificence.
- On top of Skandagiri Hill, there lies a temple devoted to Lord Shiva. The temple’s imperial architecture is another temptation of the trek.
- Skandgiri is also famous for its thrilling journeys and sunrise trekking chances after sunset and lasts till early light, letting you have a once-in-a-lifetime event.
What to eat:
Eating should not be a crucial matter on your way to the trek as snacks are abundant as well as tea stalls on the route along the trek. These are sufficiently stocked with snacks, tea, cookies and cold drinks. If you plan to have an adequate lunch then you can settle down at any of the regional diners in Chikkaballapur and have your lunch and get back to the route. To name a few restaurants: Kamat Upachar Restaurant, Hotel Babuji, Chandru Hotel, and Swathi Restaurant are some of the preferences that you can opt for.
Points To Remember Before You Visit:
- Avoid travelling to Skandagiri during the monsoon season because the sand makes the surface slippery, which boosts the chance of slipping down the slope when walking and that could be very dangerous.
- Always carry your reusable water bottle with you to stay hydrated and resist yourself from falling sick.
- Dress comfortably and wear comfortable shoes too so that you don’t indulge in any problems while trekking.
- To trek for 10 kilometres, you must be mentally as well as physically active. If you’re scheduling a trek ahead of time, begin stretching and exercising two days before time to get your body prepared for the trek.
- And if you’re going on a night trek, make sure you have torches and extra batteries with you. Touch is very necessary for your night trek as it will assist you throughout.
How to reach:
You can take a bus from Bangalore to Chikkaballapur or you can hire a cab from Bangalore to drop you at Chikkaballapur. You could drive your private ride and arrange for parking in Chikkaballapur village only if your known person stays there or if you’re bringing a driver along who will look after your car while you trek.
Multiple trains operate in Bangalore. From Mumbai, you can book the Udyan Express or from Delhi, you can book Bangalore Rajdhani according to your convenience.
Fly to Bangalore Airport which is linked to primary cities in India and from there you can take a cab or taxi to Chikkaballapura.